It’s that time of year again, when pets start trembling at the sound of bangs. If your cat cowers or your dog dithers from fireworks, there are things you can do to help them. We have a range of soothing treatments from herbal remedies that we can sell over the counter (such as Vetpro Stress & Anxiety*), Adaptil diffusers and collars, Feliway plug-ins and sprays, to more potent sedatives and tranquillers for pets who really suffer from noise phobia.
Ideally pets who show fear at firework bangs or thunder can be de-sensitised (playing a noises of thunder or fireworks at gradually increasing levels) but this needs to be started months in advance and isn’t something to do a week before bonfire night.
Some other things you can do to help your pet:
- Provide a den or hiding place where your dog can feel safe.
- Try Vetpro Stress and Anxiety tablets to see how much they relax your pet in advance of Bonfire night.
- Increase your dog’s feeling of security by plugging in an Adaptil diffuser or using and Adaptil collar as close to the den or hiding place as possible, start using the diffuser or collar at least a week before fireworks are expected.
- Ignore fearful behaviour, such a panting, shaking and whining. Dogs may pick up on their owner’s anxiety which could make the problem worse.
- In the run up to Bonfire Night walk your dog when it is still light outside. This reduces the possibility of fireworks being set off and your dog becoming worried.
- Make sure all windows, doors and cat flaps are securely closed during fireworks night. This will reduce the chances of your pets escaping.
- Provide distractions, for example new toys or chews, while fireworks are happening. Draw curtains and switch on the TV to mask the noise from the fireworks.
- Try not to leave your pets alone while fireworks are going off, pets will be more relaxed when they have a familiar person with them during this time.
- Do not punish your pet! This will only make your pet more distressed.
*Vet pro Stress and Anxiety is uniquely formulated by vets to naturally calm anxious pets, aid relaxation in stressful situations and to reduce unwanted or unruly behaviour. The product is formulated to promote a quick natural response once taken, with results often evident within 1 hour. It is a natural alternative for animal healthcare that provides a unique high strength formula for supporting behavioural management. Only the highest quality natural ingredients are used and all raw materials are both ethical and sustainable. The product also contains no animal derived ingredients.